Thursday, September 11, 2008

When Someone Says it Better...

Somewhere along the way I ran across this author, Scot McKnight, and his book The Jesus Creed. I will probably post about it soon. I haven't finished it yet. I then found his blog, and have added it to my list of recommended reading. We start at different points, and often end up at different points, but our thoughts often travel parallel paths in interesting and helpful ways (for me, anyway).

In light of the current presidential politics, the great changes each party promises, and the great sameness they threaten if "those other candidates" win, McKnight wrote an excellent statement about what our job is on November 5th, after all the precincts have reported in, and on January 20th, after the inauguration.

In short, our job as people of faith will be the same regardless of the outcome of the election. Our ministry and missions will be helped and hindered (in some ways differently and in some ways the same) by either candidate being elected.

This is not to say I don't have (strong) opinions about who should and who should not lead the country. It just means my answer will be given on a secret ballot, and I encourage you to do the same with your answer.

And then let's get on with the task of loving the world rightside up again.

No comments: