Friday, September 19, 2008

Making Big Decisions 101

So the other day a new opportunity arose. I was asked by the local fire department if I would serve as a volunteer chaplain. Apparently I didn't mess up too badly when I officiated the late Fire Chief's funeral, so they offered me the spot.

I took my time coming to a decision. Important decisions made hastily mean I usually miss something, often something important.

I talked with the stakeholders. I spoke with fire fighters on the department, the chief, assistant chief, a captain or two. I listened to church members. I talked with my wife. I compared notes with the other pastor at our church. I checked in with the clergy support group which meets weekly. And I prayed. Some of these folks have a stake in my ministry, the ministry of the church and the chaplaincy. Two have veto power.

I raised questions for me, the church, and the department to answer before I could move ahead with it.

I checked to see if I was making this decision as a way of avoiding something else, or out of current but temporary emotional needs.

I looked at the challenges and the unknowns about this chaplaincy, the requirements it would place on me, and decided that these were ways in which I could grow as a person and a pastor.

I went back and re-read the Ordained Minister's Code for the United Church of Christ, both as a reminder of what I am about, and to see how it would support such a chaplaincy.

After all of this, I went to the church governing body, and said I would like to pursue this new venture as a part of my ministry here. They voted to support me.

That's not a bad way to make a big decision. I ought to try it more often. Now if I could just pick what I want for lunch.....

No comments: