Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Franciscan Benediction

There is something in me that makes me research stuff when I start new projects. I am an academic at heart. I just never liked homework. So I started reading other blogs, especially those of other UCC pastors, and I ran across a great prayer shared in worship in June at Orchard Ridge United Church of Christ.

They call it a Franciscan Benediction:

May God bless you with discomfort at easy answers, half truths and superficial relationships, so that you may live deep within your heart.
May God bless you with anger at injustice, oppression, and exploitation of people,
so that you may work for justice, freedom, and peace.
May God bless you with tears to shed for those who suffer from pain, rejections, starvation and war, so that you may reach out your hand to comfort them and turn their pain to joy.
And may God bless you with enough foolishness to believe that you can make a difference in the world, so that you can do what others claim cannot be done. Amen.


That's the kind of foolishness that helps faith laugh.

2 comments:

Cometprof said...

One of your congregation members sent me the link to this posting. This prayer really captures everything I feel when dealing with the social world. I appreciate it in part because it reminds me that I am not alone in how I feel about what is happening around me.
I enjoy your blog and, as I think a sense of humor is imperative if one is to remain sane these days, I find the title apt.

Pastor Phil said...

There is no way any of us can get through this life alone. Somehow we have to find ways to laugh (and weep, when necessary) together.